Saturday, November 8, 2008

RIP Earthworm

I'm sitting on the bench at the bus stop right now and there has been a massacre of epic proportions, or maybe a mass suicide, I can't tell.



Thousands of earth worms have crawled out of the grass and have stranded themselves on the sidewalk.



Approaching the scene I saw them littered along the sidewalk, at first confusing them with just plant matter but upon a secondary inspection realizing that they were dead soldiers on a battlefield of cement.



Amongst the thousands I saw just one still writhing. Threshing about amongst all his dead brethren. I was able to do my part and flick him back into the grass but upon realizing that none of the worms had seemed to want to be in the grass-having apparently fled in such massive numbers-I was left to wonder whether I was doing more harm then good.



I krept away after watching the survivor squirm under a blade of grass, careful not to disturb the dead. I was careful too, I didn't step on one worm as I picked my way through the scene.



Now as I sit here on this bench I have to wonder: Where are all the birds? This should be their Saturday morning buffet.

No comments: