Monday, November 9, 2009

My bro Mike


Went for a trip into the wilderness and the temperature was dropping into the teens at night and our party was in desperate need of some warmth. It was either build and illegal fire or just retire to the warmth of our sleeping bags. The rap music got the best of us and we all decided to do the outlaw thing and start a fire. It was no easy task though with all the wood around us a little damp and a good wind coming through. Enter Ross King. I have to give a lot of thanks to Ross King for putting an index in the back of his book because there is no way I'd burn any of the actual pages of this book but I have to say that his index did a great job of starting a fire. Anyways, I spent the rest of the trip reading in short durations this rad book. It was pretty hard to find time to lay down and take in this story that I could read over and over again but it was definitely worth it. The great thing about this book is it isn't too heavy and is written really well. Ross really paints a good picture (nothing compared to Mike though) of the monumental process that was the frescoing of the Sistine Chapel. After reading this book I doubt I'll be able to visit Europe without making my first stop the Vatican.

He also wrote another great book about Brunelesci's dome (I think it was titled something like "Brunelesci's Dome" that is much much shorter but still a great fast read if you like history or art history.

No comments: