Thursday, July 24, 2008

Why Soylent Green just didn't do it for me.


Have you seen Soylent Green? I just have. Charlton Heston is possibly the greatest over over actor, in fact, it makes me wonder what it would be like to see him teach a Sunday school class; the man is intense. For those of you who haven't seen the movie you might as well stop reading here because the rest of this blog is an in depth analyses as to why Soylent Green didn't do it for me.

The movie is almost great in my opinion. Some may say that if you've seen one Charlton Heston movie then you have seen them all. I disagree. He really never ever reaches his full sneering and yelling potential in any one performance and to truly understand the world of CH you must see all of his movies-kind of like Paully Shore.

The allusions to Kurt Vonnegut stories are numerous and pretty obvious, and for a yuppy Vonnegut groupie like me, that is always a plus. Seriously, they should have had the old man dial 2br02b to just seal the deal. I wonder if Kurt had that idea originally or if he had borrowed the concept from somebody else?

Now to why Soylent Green just didn't do it for me. You begin to suspect what is going on as CH climbs into the garbage truck and heads past the security checkpoint. Spoiler alert: (as CH says) "SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE FROM PEOPLE!!!". So now CH goes back into the city to let this terrible secret out and is taken away, but, what happens next? I was left feeling so let down that the story ended right then and there.

I am announcing here on this blog my intentions to WRITE A SEQUEL TO SOYLENT GREEN!!!

Buy "Soylent Green" from Amazon.com

No comments: